2nd XI held in frustrating draw

Banbury 2nd XI drew away to Great Tew on Saturday. Having lost the toss on a green but hard wicket, Banbury were inserted by the Tew skipper.

The new opening partnership of E Phillips and A Blanchard got off to a steady start, but disaster struck in the 6th over, when A Harris got one to nip back, and caught A Blanchard bang in front, and he was out LBW for 9.

Beck came in at 3, but was soon to follow Blanchard back to the pavilion, as he was caught low down at point off the bowling of Smith for a 6 ball duck. This left banbury struggling at 18-2.

C Board joined E Phillips at the crease, and they batted positively, and put on 98 for the 3rd wicket. Both players were producing excellent shots both sides of the wicket.

Board was finally out for 32 shortly after drink, when he pulled K Taylors worst ball of the day straight to mid-on.

M Rorick joined E Phillips, and the pair continued the progress, putting on another 46 in 10 overs. M Rorich finally departed for 23, bowled by Smith. This left Banbury on 162-4 with 14 overs remaining.

Vice Captain Olly Murrey was in and out quickly, making 1 before being LBW to Smith.

Youngster Jamie Coles joined Ed Phillips, and the two settled, but the scoring rate slowed, with only, 30 coming off the next 11 overs. This was a nervy time for Phillips, as he approached his first 2ns XI Cherwell League 100. He finally reached it off 131 balls. It was a excellent chanceless innings.

A couple more wickets fell in the last overs as quick runs were sought. Banbury finally finished on 215. A OK total, but not out of Tew’s reach.

Ed Phillips carried his bat and finished unbeaten on 103.

Banburys bowlers got off to a brilliant start, with Kiwi Richard Brooks taking two wickets in his first 3 overs to leave Tew 6-2.

Tew found it hard going, but runs were coming, but mainly off the edges throught the vacant 3rd man region, as Banbury had 5 slips in place.

David Powells was playing with some aggression, but this got the better of him, as he played one to many big drives, and was caught at a deepish extra cover off the bowling of Manley for 24.

Smith then shortly followed, after top edging a pull into his shoulder, which ballooned to Ed Phillips for his 3rd catch, also off the bowling of Manley.

Once Tew were 4 down, they appeared to give up the chase, and 20 runs came off the next 13 overs, even with attacking fields in place.

Banbury finally got the 5th wickets, when Brooks came back on for a short spell into the wind. He found the edge of M Perry’s bat for the umpteenth time, and this one finally found the slip cordon, and Olly Murrey took a good low catch. This left Tew on 78 off 30 overs.

L Brock, who was Tew’s best batsman on the day, came in with some urgency, and actually started to try and win the game. With an agressive 55 off 38 balls, Tew were suddenly in the game, needing only 44 off the last 5 overs. But once Brock was bowled by Brooks for him to claim his 4th wicket (16-5-59-4) Tew settled for the draw. Closing on 193 -6.

Banbury 13 points, Tew 10.

Scroll to Top